Dec 12, 2006

Shotgun Season 06




Early Muzzle loader 2006 was a bust. Not for lack of seeing deer. The first day of the early season I had seen 4 bucks. Of the four deer I missed two of them, one in the morning and one at night.

The first of the misses i chalk up to a misfire. I was using one of my dads guns, a Thompson Center Black Diamond. It was only a Y buck, but after a year of limited success, I was anxious to get the ball rolling again in the right direction. It was one of those, pull the trigger........hissssss........poww. Once the hissing began, the deer started to trot away.

The evening hunt I walked in with some buck lure on a string tied to my boot. I had three bucks come in, small, medium, and large. The bigger buck initially presented himself but I waited to see if I would get a better shot. When i felt my opportunity slip away, I took a shot at about 150 yards between the Y of a tree to no avail.

This was the deer that i missed with the Muzzle loader.




(Our neighbor, Kieth, shot it during extended shotgun.)




So needless to say, i was poised for the kill on Monday morning of shotgun season.

This five pointer came into me just at day break.






On Tuesday, Uncle Scott calls me to tell me he shot the big one.

Sure enough.....




So I dress the deer for him as a congratulatory gesture and we head to the checking station.

With a deer that size in your truck, you automatically expect to have the biggest deer at the checking station.



We weren't there for five minutes and Dave Hemsley pulls in with antlers sticking out above the bed of his truck.



Daves nine pointer



Scotts eight pointer







2 comments:

  1. Wow, there are some great pictures here...Good stuff...I know a lot about missing big deer, I've been chasing a big 9 pointer for 2 years, missed him 2 years ago, but have seen him 3 times since...Because I missed once I'm waiting for a perfect shot, I know if I miss again I'll never see him again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice blog, some nice bucks too. I think we are in the same area, I grew up on Buck Rd. Check out my blog at http://daysafield-dv.blogspot.com/

    Doug

    ReplyDelete